Monday, January 17, 2011

Progress on the 2-8-0 Conversion!

After much procrastination, I have finally started working on the Consolidation. I've actually got drawings, and I've actually made chips!

I finally took the time (and had the motivation) to draw most of the parts in SolidWorks. I am still in the process of doing so, but that hasn't stopped me from machining. The first night, I was able to accomplish this:

Photobucket

After some tinkering, and more progress, I finally came up with this:

Photobucket

I have printed all of the drawings to date. If you'll notice, I've temporarily sketched the pilot wheelset to get an idea of location. I also sketched up the pilot deck. For the time being, the drawing shows where the pilot deck will be. I'll finalize those details once I have an assembled frame.

I've also developed the concept for suspension rigging. I just need to order the material and tinker with it. It's a little different, but it will do the job just as well, and will require less effort.

As for machining, I was able to machine the cylinder mounts to length, and will drill the holes accordingly as soon as possible, hopefully this week. If that happens, I'll be able to mount the cylinders to the frame! Thanks to Clayton for rough-cutting the stock to length while I was machining siderod bushings for the WF&P.

I also had an issue with the needle bearings that were installed in the journal boxes. Apparently the needle bearings were all frozen, and had no chance of rolling. I felt that it was likely due to lack of lubrication. I gave one bearing a squirt of WD-40 and let it soak, then worked it for a little bit. The bearing freed up! I also asked Clayton if he'd like a project to work on, and he took on the remaining seven bearings. Now they all roll freely. Unfortunately two were a slip fit in the bores, so I will apply Loctite sleeve retainer and insert the bearing in their boxes after a thorough cleaning with acetone or MEK. This should take care of that problem.

I've also started machining the pilot truck wheels, which just need the tread and flanged machined at this point. I'll machine the axle at some point, but I'm not sure what size to make the axle, as I need to keep the pilot truck in mind. I'll install bronze bushings in the truck for the axle to ride in.

I'll call it quits for the night, but I'll take photos on Wednesday and hope to post them here!
-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment