Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A conversion in progress....

Among the pile of projects that I've got in the apartment right now, is a conversion of a 1" Scale Little Engines 0-4-0 into a 2-8-0. This project includes adding two drivers, a pony truck, and fabricating a different boiler for the locomotive. I will have to fabricate special valve gear hangers, as the originals are designed to go where the #2 driver will actually interfere with it.

Currently, I have a laser cut frame, however I've been leery about the laser cut frame, as it's 3/8" thick, whereas the original frame for the 0-4-0 is 7/16" thick. I am thinking about ordering some 7/16" stock and directly machining a frame out of this material. That is where this project sits at right now, as the driver assemblies are complete (except for one driver set needing new crankpins), the cylinders are complete. After the frame is machined and assembled, I intend to fabricate suspension rigging, as well as install the components. After I've installed rigging, I can move onto valve gear work.

I'll update when I make some progress!
-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment